Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Phones and coffee and darkness.........

Thursday, November 20, 2014


More progress in my transition to life in Poland.   On Tuesday, we went to the cell phone place and got phones for each of us.  T-Mobile because of the price.  Nothing fancy, but functional.  Of course, Alicja’s started ringing as soon as two of her friends learned her number (that figure multiplies exponentially, you know).  Mine, on the other hand, has remained silent.  But, at least I have one.



Coffee

Yesterday, we bought me a coffee maker.  Alicja has this thing they call a “coffee maker.”  But, we Americans call it an espresso machine.  It has a tiny cup for the coffee grounds to be placed.  I say “coffee grounds.”  It really is coffee powder.  So, this powder is packed in this tiny metal cup and hot water is forced through it and down into a cup.  The result is something like a mixture of battery acid and used motor oil.  Then, of course, because it is - at best - undrinkable and, at worst, lethal, they then dilute it about half way with milk.  At that point, they have room temperature transmission fluid.  Bleah!

So.....................  We bought me a coffee maker.  One that makes real coffee like we drink in America.  It is not my Keurig, but it DOES make coffee.  Thank the Lord.


Darkness

It is wintertime here in northern Poland.  That means the days are short.  VERY short.  Sunset is at 3:40 in the afternoon.  Dead, nighttime dark before 4:30.  And, cold.  Not horrible, north-pole type cold; but, cold.  As an Okie, I am not accustomed to this type of winter.  I am sure I will adjust, but it is certainly different.

No comments:

Post a Comment