Wednesday, December 31, 2014

In the beginning.....

 My name is Edward. This is my first Blog post. In fact, it is the first time I have had a blog. I decided to create it to chronicle happenings and events related to our move to Poland for family and friends back home. We moved from Oklahoma to Poland. What a change for me. My wife, Alicja, is Polish and our move was, for her, a homecoming. So, she is, I believe, very happy.



Today is Monday, November 17, 2014.  We arrived here on Thursday, November 13 after leaving Oklahoma the previous day.

Poland is 7 hours ahead of Oklahoma in time.  That adjustment has been difficult for me so far.  My body clock seems to be clinging to Oklahoma time.  So, I wake up at 2:00 a.m. after what my body thinks is a nice nap.  And, I can’t go back to sleep.  Hopefully, I will adjust to the time change soon.

It is chilly here, but not as chilly as the weather in Oklahoma right now.  And, we do not have snow as they are having in Oklahoma.  One big difference here is that the days are so much shorter.  This time of year, it becomes dark by 4:30 in the afternoon.  I am definitely not accustomed to that.  And, it is cloudy/gray most of the winter months.  Oklahoma has bright, sunny days even in wintertime.  We shall see how well I adjust to gloomy northern European winters.

Our days since arrival have been spent trying to unpack and organize clothing, etc. and tending to ministerial tasks.  We had to go to city hall to arrange garbage service and, strangely enough, to register our marriage.  That particular task required that we have a certified copy of my birth certificate and of our marriage license from Oklahoma.  AND that those documents be translated into Polish by a certified translator.  Alicja tells me the marriage must be registered and recognized here or they would deport me after 90 days.  That would be a bit of a problem.  But, we have done our part now.

Today, we must research cell phone service.  Currently, we both have phones but they are AT&T phones and we really cannot use them here.  Not without paying a very hefty premium, that is.  So, we shall see what options are available in that arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment